Prostate cancer: symptoms, screening and treatment
The prostate is a gland that is part of the male reproductive system. It is located under the bladder, in front of the rectum the size of a walnut. The functioning of this gland can be disrupted by several types of diseases like prostate cancer.
What is prostate cancer?
Prostate cancer is the most common type of cancer in men over the age of 60; it is very rare before age 50. This disease results from abnormal and anarchic development of the cells of the prostate until the formation of a mass called "malignant tumor". More than 90% of prostate cancer is adenocarcinoma and, like other types of cancer, it can spread to other parts of the body.
In the early stages of the disease, no signs or symptoms are detected but over time several signs appear:
- difficulty urinating and blood in the urine,
- burning sensation or pain during urination and inability to empty the bladder completely,
- presence of blood in sperm and painful ejaculation,
- frequent pain or stiffness in the lower back, hips or upper thighs.
Prostate cancer: screening and treatment
Screening for the disease in Turkey is usually done by digital rectal examination, but also by blood testing of the prostate specific antigen (PSA) and, if the result is positive, the patient undergoes a biopsy to confirm the presence of cancer. at the level of the prostate.
The treatment of prostate cancer in Turkey depends on the result of the PSA and biopsy assay, the tumor size and the characteristics of the tumor tissue. Several types of treatments are proposed:
- Surgical procedure: elimination of the prostate
- drug treatments: chemotherapies, hormone therapy, targeted therapies.
Turquie Santé puts you in touch with the best specialists in oncology in Turkey to identify the best healing plan for your situation.
Last update : 19/08/2019