Brain cancer is no longer dangerous, there are many ways to fight against it, heal it and survive. The latest technologies in medical oncology allowed many patients to diagnose and treat their cancer in time.
Nowadays, many types of cancer can infect parts of the brain. A tumor is a mass of mutated cells that multiply in an anarchistic way. It can be:
- Benign tumors (cell development is slow and without spread to other parts of the body)
- Malignant tumors (cell multiplication is rapid, and the tumor is difficult to delineate)
Brain cancer is one of the most common tumors that affects many people around the world.
Causes, treatment, and diagnostics of a brain tumor in Istanbul
Glioblastoma Multiform, GBM or astrocytoma, is a fast-growing brain tumor that occurs in the astrocytes and oligodendrocytes within the brain.
Despite the large body of research, the exact cause of glioblastoma tumor cells (also known as head cancer) remains unknown. So, there are factors that may be causing this tumor such as:
- A history of radiation at the level of the head
- Medicines used to treat diseases such as AIDS or HIV that weaken the immune system of the infected person
- Excessive use of mobile devices (especially for children)
- Exposure to vinyl chloride
Glioblastoma: Symptoms, treatment, and diagnostics of a brain tumor in Istanbul
There are several symptoms from which one can deduce the existence or not of brain cancer:
This is the most well-known symptom of brain cancer. However, not all headaches are a sign of cancer, it can be migraine or tension. Thus, the headaches caused by the tumor are more intense, accompanied by vomiting.
The infected person starts to forget things, people, and places. Not to be mistaken with Alzheimer's or dementia, which generally occurs in older patients.
Disturbances in vision
The vision becomes blurred even if the patient has no ophthalmic diseases. In this case, the vision does not improve even with glasses.
If you experience all or one of the previous symptoms, you may need to consult a doctor and get a brain tumor treatment. Let’s discover more about the treatment and diagnostics of a Brain Tumorin Istanbul.
The Treatment of a Brain Cancer (Glioblastoma) in Istanbul Turkey
The existence of brain cancer requires urgent surgery to remove the cancerous mass, several chemotherapies, irradiation sessions as well as medications.
People that are more likely to be affected by brain cancer (Glioma)
Every year in Istanbul Turkey, oncologists diagnoses about 9,000 people with a primary brain tumor. They account for 5% of all cancers. Major epidemiological studies have shown that brain tumors have been increasing for several decades, however, it is unclear why.
The intensive use of cell phones appears to be implicated in the increase in some primary brain tumors. In terms of mobile phone use, children would be more exposed to brain tumors than adults.
What is the cost of a glioma diagnosis?
Consult your doctor if you suffer from symptoms like persistent and intense headaches that are accompanied by nausea and vision problems. The prices of the diagnosis depend on the doctor's fees and the type of medical tests that the oncologist employs during the consultation.
Are there any side effects of the glioma treatment?
Like any other cancer therapy, the treatment of glioblastoma has some complications and side effects. However, they depend on the initial condition of the patient and the stage of cancer.
Side effects also differ according to the type of treatment employed:
What are these Side Effects?
Glioblastoma surgery can make the brain swell. However, your doctor or oncologist will give you treatment to reduce the swelling.
Chemotherapy side effects vary depending on the patient and the dose that the doctor uses. They can include:
- Risk of infection
- Food aversion
- Nausea and vomiting
- Alopecia (hair loss)
These side effects usually fade after the completion of the treatment.
- Radiotherapy for Glioblastoma can cause these short-term side effects:
- Hair loss
- Nausea and vomiting
- Skin and scalp alterations
- Mild cognitive impairment
How much does it cost to treat a Glioma in Turkey: Prices & centers
In Istanbul Turkey, we usually use two kinds of imaging tests which are:
Pet-Scan, which proves its efficiency in detecting 85% of tumors, is a useful tool that permits doctors to confirm the presence, position, and size of the tumors.
Turquie Santé is an online platform allowing you to contact the most recognized hospitals, clinics, and medical specialists. We help you get the best treatment and diagnostics of a brain tumor in Istanbul, Izmir, or Antalya. We promise you to have the best cancer care at a reasonable cost in our partner clinics, hospitals, and medical centers in Turkey.
Share this page
- Gliomas: or glial tumors, which originate from the cells of the glia, the latter representing up to 90% of the nervous system;
- Glioblastoma: this is the most common brain cancer, it results from an abnormal proliferation of astrocytes (cells of the central nervous system);
- Meningioma: a tumor that is caused by the abnormal proliferation of the meninges (cells surrounding the brain and spinal cord);
- Medulloblastoma: the second most common cancer in children, the exact cause of this tumor is not yet known;
- Pituitary Adenomas: a benign tumor that develops in the pituitary gland (a gland located at the base of the brain and responsible for the secretion of several hormones);
- Brain Lymphoma: a rare form of tumor resulting from the abnormal proliferation of B lymphocytes in the brain.
Some known risk factors for brain cancer include:
- Radiation exposure of the head;
- Immunodeficiency: weakness of the immune system resulting from a disease, such as AIDS, or from taking certain immunosuppressive medicines;
- Contact with vinyl chloride: chemical used in the manufacture of plastic.
There are signs that show you may have a brain tumor:
- Severe headaches upon waking up;
- Epileptic seizures;
- Vomiting and nausea;
- Personality, mood or behavior disorders;
- Difficulty communicating or deciphering words;
- Involuntary movements or difficulty walking (adynamia);
- Asthenia (general weakness or of one side of the body).
The main treatment for brain tumors in our partner clinics in Turkey is surgery. Radiotherapy or chemotherapy is used before and after the procedure to shrink the size of the tumor or remove cancer cells that are left in the brain.
Targeted therapy and immunotherapy have also become essential in the treatment of cancer.