Pancreatic cancer starts in the tissues of the pancreas. The function of the pancreas consists of releasing enzymes that aid digestion and hormones that assist in managing your blood sugar.
Pancreatic cancer expands rapidly to neighboring organs. It is seldom detected in its early stages. However, some screening steps for people with pancreatic cysts or a family history of pancreatic cancer might aid in picking up the problem at an earlier stage.
Diabetes is considered to be one symptom of pancreatic cancer, especially when it is associated with weight loss, jaundice or ache in the upper abdomen that spreads to the back.
What are the different Symptoms?
At an advanced stage, the symptoms arise and include:
- Pain in the upper abdomen that extends to your back
- Loss of appetite or unintended weight loss
- New-onset diabetes
- Blood clots
- Yellowing of your skin.
Types of treatment for patients with pancreatic cancer in Turkey ?
Different types of treatment are available for patients with pancreatic cancer. They include:
- Chemotherapy: it is employed to kill cancer cells and it intends to expand a person's lifespan. The drugs ,that can be either oral or intravenous, are administered by the doctor. The cancer cells in the pancreas and those that have spread to other organs are eliminated by the drugs.
- Chemoradiation therapy: is a combination of chemotherapy and radiation therapy that is recommended by the medical team. The cancer spreading to organs near the pancreas is treated through this technique. Tumors can be lessened before or after surgery by radiation treatment.
What are the factors that affect prognosis?
In Turkey Hospitals, the prognosis relies on the following:
Whether or not the tumor can be removed by surgery.
The stage of the cancer (the size of the tumor and whether the cancer has spread to other places in the body).
The patient’s general health.
Whether the cancer has just been diagnosed or has recurred.
The surgeon can completely get rid of the pancreatic cancer if it is discovered at an early stage. However, palliative treatment can be prescribed to control the indications and drawbacks of this disease provided that the cancer has spread.
What are the risks of surgery ?
The risks of surgery for pancreatic cancer are:
- Bleeding and the possible need for a blood transfusion and this can be managed by the medical team.
- Obtaining an infection such as a chest or wound infection. Some antibiotics are given in order to decrease this risk.
Having a general anesthetic may lead to the risk of complications like having an allergy.
With Turquie Santé, we help our patients to pay cheaper prices but not at the expense of quality thanks to our network of more than 70 clinics present in Izmir, Istanbul or Antalya.Last update : 20/07/2019