Nuclear medicine is a specialized branch of medicine that diagnoses and treats diseases using small amounts of radiopharmaceuticals, or radioactive materials. It enables investigations with nuclear imaging tests.
These allow the analysis of both the structure and functionality of organs or tissues, while also being able to trace the cause of the disease in a non-invasive, painless and safe manner.
People who want to:
- Diagnose or analyze a disease
- Locate and treat organ or tissue disease
- Swelling at the injection site
- Allergic reactions to radiopharmaceuticals
- 93 %
What is nuclear medicine?
Nuclear medicine is a medical discipline that emerged in 1934 in which radioactive substances (radionuclides) and methods of nuclear physics are used to diagnose, Locate and treat diseases or pathologies that affect organs or tissues.
Radionuclides have the distinction of delivering different types of radiation. This feature allows you to examine the performance of organs during their operation. It is also used to study, diagnose and monitor certain pathologies.
By relying on nuclear medicine, experts can overcome the stage of purely morphological imaging to obtain functional and metabolic imaging, to finely detect deep lesions, monitor their progress, and accurately guide surgical actions, but also detect diseases at very early stages of their development. Nuclear surgery provides two-dimensional images, now three-dimensional images, that complement radiology, ultrasound, and MRI.
This medical specialty of nuclear surgery is well developed in Turkey. Indeed, Turquie Santé guarantees you medical assistance with the best practitioners and nuclear medicine specialists in Istanbul Turkey who work in nuclear medicine units (clinicians, interns, nurses, cardiologists, endocrinologists, etc.) and several special outpatient clinics to provide the best possible care to patients.
Nuclear imaging techniques in Istanbul Turkey
In Turkey, there are three nuclear imaging techniques to improve the effectiveness of the treatments adopted:
- Gamma scan: a small amount of radioactive product called an intravenous tracer is injected. Once the injection is completed, the tracer settles on the structures of the organ and therefore diffuses signals called gamma rays. These are explored via a special device called a gamma-camera, fixed in front of the area to be studied. Gamma-ray scans can then examine and analyze the functioning of organs through a gamma-camera by providing a functional image.
- Positron emission tomography (PET): this imaging technique in nuclear processing is based on the principle of scintigraphy. It consists of evaluating the metabolic activity of a 3-dimensional organ, thanks to the emissions produced by the positons from the administration of a previously injected tracer.
- Monophotonic Emission Tomography (SPECT): A series of images captures a movement or activity, for example, you can observe blood flow near the organ. The image is three-dimensional and allows to visualize the functioning of the studied organ.
Reasons for using nuclear medicine
There are many reasons to perform nuclear imaging tests.
- Detect tumors
- Determining the spread of cancer
- Determining the effectiveness of cancer treatment
- Diagnose inflammation
- Check the pumping of the core
- Check the structure or function of tissues or organs, such as the brain, thyroid, liver, heart, kidneys, bones, etc.
Consult an expert in Istanbul Turkey: Prices & clinics
Consultation with nuclear medicine experts poses a minimal risk of exposure to radioisotopes. The dose of the radioactive substance administered depends on the type of activities performed and the part of the body to be examined. Possible side effects include bleeding, swelling at the injection site, or allergic reactions to radiopharmaceuticals, but this is extremely rare. In one of the best clinics in Istanbul Turkey, the medical team will announce these risks to you before taking the exam to help you make the right decision.
It should be noted that the doses of radioisotopes used in nuclear imaging tests are very minimal and do not introduce any risk or danger to health when these tests are performed occasionally and under the direction of expert surgeons. Please also note that in Istanbul Turkey, the potential risks are reduced compared to the benefits of these examinations.
Turquie Santé offers advantageous prices for your nuclear examinations in the best nuclear clinics.
Share this page