Cancer is a very dangerous disease and can infect many parts of the human body (breasts, prostate, blood, skin, stomach, …). Today, several types of effective treatments are offered by doctors to treat this disease. Radiotherapy is one of the most effective methods and consists of: to destroy the cancerous cells and to block their multiplication. By using radiation (or radiation), radiotherapy removes infected cells and keeps healthy tissue.
Thus, there are three types of radiotherapy :
- external radiotherapy : Linear Particle Accelerator produces rays that get into the skin and dea . pass the healthy tissues to attack the infected part. C ’ is a local tumor treatment and realized ó by a radiothemist.
- Curieth é : is an internal radiotherapy, o ” the sources of the rays are found; the inside of the patient's body; a very short distance from the area; treat (the tumor).
- Metabolic Radiotherapy : It is used to treat certain types of thyroid cancers, Vaquez disease &consists of &agr; orally administer a radioactive substance that binds to cancer cells and destroys them.
The side effects of radiotherapy :
Radiotherapy is a painless technique that lasts a few minutes. She showed ó its efficiency ó in the treatment of cancerous diseases, but it has several side effects :
- Fatigue : This is a very common side effect and appears after a few weeks of starting treatment and can last for months (it disappears) &dquo; radiotherapy ends). Fatigue is caused by the loss of appetite, dislocations ’ the hospital, the an &nd;
- skin problems: the rays pass through the skin to reach the infected cells, so the skin can turn red, dry or eat with a noticeable change in color.
- hair loss : This is a temporary local loss that affects only the treated area (a re-appearance of hair that the treatment ends).
- Decreased blood cells: may be common if the radiotherapy is accompanied; Chemotherapy.