Cancer is a very dangerous disease that can infect many parts of the human body (breasts, prostate, blood, skin, stomach, …). Today, doctors offer several types of effective therapies to treat this disease. Radiotherapy prices in Turkey are very affordable with our partner doctors, clinics, and hospitals.
Radiation therapy is one of the most effective methods that aim to destroy the cancerous cells and block their proliferation. In radiotherapy and oncology, therapeutic radiographers use radiations to remove infected cells and preserve healthy tissue.
Any Question ?
Get in Touch.
We're Here to Help.
- Patients with cancer and tumours
- Hair loss
- Falling blood cells
- Radiation therapy is done once a day five days a week
- Its duration is 6 weeks
- A session lasts less than 15 minutes
- Convalescence depends on the evolution of the disease and the patient's health
Types of Radiotherapy and Oncology Services in Istanbul
There are three types of radiation therapies in Turkey and Istanbul:
- External radiation therapy: Linear Particle Accelerator produces rays that get into the skin and exceeds healthy tissues to attack the infected part. It is a local tumour treatment performed by a radiation therapist.
- Brachytherapy: It is internal radiotherapy, where the doctor puts the sources of radiation inside the patient’s body. They are at a very short distance from the area to be treated (the tumour).
- Metabolic radiation therapy: It is used to treat certain types of thyroid cancer and Vaquez disease (excess of red cells). It consists of orally administering a radioactive substance that attaches itself precisely to cancer cells and destroys them.
Before the treatment
Your first appointment will be with the radiation oncologist. The doctor will summarize your medical records, perform a physical exam, and may prescribe tests. He/she will explain the therapy options and side effects.
If you have questions about radiation therapy, you can ask your radiotherapist to the radiation oncologist.
The side effects of the Radiation Therapy
Therapeutic radiation is a painless technique that lasts a few minutes. It has been shown its effectiveness in the treatment of cancer diseases, but it has several side effects:
- Fatigue : This is a very common side effect and appears a few weeks after the therapy and can last for months. It disappears as soon as the radiation therapy ends. Loss of appetite causes fatigue, the movement to the hospital, and anaemia.
- Skin problems : The rays pass through the skin to reach the infected cells. That's why the skin can turn red, dry, or itchy with a noticeable change in colour.
- Hair loss : This is a temporary local loss that affects only the treated area. The hair will grow as soon as the treatment is over.
- Decreased blood cells : This condition may occur if the radiotherapy is accompanied by Chemotherapy.
What will happen after the Intervention?
The therapeutic radiologists monitor your progress throughout the treatment and adjusts the dose or duration of therapy as needed. They also do blood tests or imaging duringthe treatment to analyse the tumour's response to radiation therapy.
Your recovery during and after radiotherapy depends on the type of cancer, stage of cancer, radiation dose, and your overall health. Some people may continue to work and engage in their usual leisure activities while receiving radiotherapy. Others notice that they get tired easily and need to rest more.
Radiotherapy for Prostate Cancer & Intraductal Carcinoma
Oncologists usually indicate radiation therapy for prostate cancer that has not spread beyond the prostate gland (localized prostate cancer). Therapeutic radiation can also be employed to slow down the locally advanced prostate cancer. This will alleviate the symptoms and prevent the cancerous cells from migrating to other parts of the body.
Treatment for prostate cancer does not include the radiotherapy. The latter is usually employed after surgery to kill the remaining mutated cells and reduce the risk of recidivism.
Breast cancer radiation therapy may be employed to kill any remaining cancerous cells in the mammary tissue after the mastectomy.
Radiation Therapy Cost in Turkey
It is believed that radiotherapy is more safe and cost-effective than chemotherapy. However, radiation therapy cost varies depending on the type and the stage of cancer to be cured.
Is the Radiation Therapy Cost Reimbursable?
Radiation therapy is considered outpatient care, that’s why it is not covered by social security. However, some private health insurance will cover your radiation therapy if you are hospitalized.
Why are Radiation Therapy Prices affordable in Turkey?
10% of the budget of Turkey is assigned to fund the health sector and finance medicine. Thanks to this, our partner oncology centers in Turkey attained a high level of medical care to meet international criteria. They can maintain the good prices of radiotherapy and oncology treatments without compromising the quality of their services.
Share this page