Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the world. Thanks to technological advances in the field of medicine, treatments are emerging to remedy this disease. However, surgery is the most effective way, but also longer used for the fight against cancer either breast, lung, or colorectal, etc.
What is oncological surgery in Turkey?
Oncologic surgery (or surgical oncology) is surgery that specializes in the treatment of cancers and tumors. Surgery is the oldest therapy used for cancer and is still very effective today. It can also be combined with other treatments to cure cancer.
It is also used to diagnose cancers and only to treat them. Indeed, the doctor must take cells from the patient's body in order to carry out the biopsy, and thus the diagnosis.
Surgical oncology deals with the various stages of cancer treatment such as detection of the latter as well as diagnosis and determination of the stage of advancement.
Cancer diagnosis & biopsy: Doctors Reviews
After detecting the cancer or tumor, your doctor will refer you to an oncological surgeon to better identify and diagnose the disease. During this visit, the surgeon will suggest the surgery and necessary treatments depending on your cancer.
In addition to the type of cancer, the surgery also depends on the complexity of your case as well as your choice.
Types of oncology surgeries in Istanbul
Even though complete cancer resection remains the most well-known surgical procedure, the patient usually undergoes several other surgeries in Istanbul:
- Curative: This type of surgery aims to completely remove the cancer by resection of the tumor as well as the lymph nodes that are nearby. If metastases are present, they will also be removed. This procedure is used only when the tumor area is localized. Several surgeries are sometimes necessary, with an interval of a few weeks.
- Prophylactic: This surgical treatment consists of removing a tissue or part of the body that is healthy, but where cancer cells could grow later.
- Diagnosis: This type allows you to do a biopsy to be sure of the initial diagnosis as well as to know the stage of the cancer.
- Staging Surgery: This surgery is very useful because it allows to know the progress of the cancer in the body and to determine its clinical stage. The surgical stage is the precise measure of the extent of the disease.
- Tumor reduction surgery: This surgery is used to decrease the size of the tumor. It is generally used when removing the entire tumor would pose too much risk to the organ or surrounding tissues.
- Palliative: Palliative surgery is reserved for people who have advanced cancer. It does not treat the disease, but relieves the patient from the pain caused by the tumor. It can also be used to alleviate problems due to illness or treatment.
- Supportive Surgery: Like palliative surgery, supportive surgery does not directly aid healing. It is used to make other treatments used more effective.
- Reconstructive: It is generally complementary to curative surgery or another type. It helps to rearrange the appearance or function of the part of the body affected by another surgery. There are two types of reconstruction: immediate reconstruction, which occurs right after the surgeon has removed the tumor, and delayed reconstruction, which occurs a few weeks or months after surgery.
Combinations with Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy for cancer treatment
Thanks to technological advances, cancers are now being detected at an early stage. Therefore, the complete removal of the tumor is effective in healing, because at this stage the cancer has not spread in the body.
In other cases, cancer surgery is combined with other treatments such as radiotherapy and chemotherapy.
These treatments are sometimes used before surgery to make it easier by reducing the size of the tumor. In this case, they are called “neoadjuvant”. They are called "adjuvants" when used after surgery to remove cancer cells still present in the patient's body.
Reviews and Prices of Oncology Surgeries in Turkey
Our partner clinics in Turkey offer you the best cancer care. The oncological surgeons and other doctors, who will take care of you, are internationally renowned. In addition, they offer you the best prices for high-quality treatments.
Reviews from our doctors, as well as a free consultation, are available by clicking on the link below.
Share this page