What is Bone Graft?
Bone graft in Istanbul involves taking a small piece of bone from one part of the body in order to rebuild a bone defect in another part of it, particularly in the jaw. This is an innovative intervention in implantology.
Who is this procedure for?
- People wishing to create sufficient space to allow the placement of a dental implant
- People wishing to give the jaw a regular and adequate shape for the preparation of prostheses
- People wishing to reconstruct the jaw following a serious accident
- People with birth defects or jaw resection in cases of oral cancer
- Rejection of transplant
Intervention or treatment's duration
- The operation lasts between 1 and 3 hours
- Implant placement generally 6 months after the operation
What are the Indications ?
When indicating the placement of a dental implant in Turkey, it is necessary to start by checking the condition of jaw bone. This may be strong enough to accommodate an implant. As a result, it means that the bone is successfully reconstructed.
Which Bone should be taken?
The choice is pointed out by the surgeon based on the surgical technique, the reconstruction position (upper or lower jaw, the thickness, or height) along with the experience of the team.
- The doctor may need to take an intra-oral bone. Then, there will be two operating positions: a sampling site and a transplant site. This is indeed an autologous graft.
- There is another alternative which is biomaterial graft.
- The allogeneic graft consists of employing a bone substitute from a special bank.
- The xenon graft involves using the bone of another kind.
How does the bone graft operation take place in Istanbul?
Different steps should be preceded:
- First, make an appointment for a first consultation. During this step, the patient must be well examined in order to clarify the treatment steps, the sampling site, and the amount of bone needed for rebuilding the deficient part.
- Then, a blood and radiological assessment can be requested depending on the position and the therapeutic indication. Finally, the operation takes place either in an office or in a clinic under local anesthesia.
What are the contraindications?
The presence of an unhealthy gum, an altered overall condition of the patient, age under 18 years may contraindicate the transplant as the risk of failure increases.
The surgeon is the only person who can confirm to the patient whether he/she is well prepared for this procedure or not.
What are the postoperative consequences ?
The postoperative consequences are simple, the complications are rare, and a period of convalescence may be necessary. The healing is generally fast and a pain relief treatment can be indicated. Generally, implantation is carried on 3-6 months after bone graft.
What are the risks?
- The healing problems: The healing period depends on the overall condition of the patient. Some drugs may delay it (such as taking long-term corticoids).
- The risk of bleeding: The risk of bleeding depends on the amount of bone taken. It also relies on the patient's condition related to a coagulation problem.
- The risk of infection: The operation takes place under strict aseptic conditions. The indication of prophylactic antibiotic therapy may be necessary.
What is the price of Bone graft in Turkey and Istanbul?
The costs of bone graft in Turkey and Istanbul include the surgeon's fees, the cost of surgery as well as anesthesia, and the products along with drugs used.
Overall, Prices vary between 2200 Euros and 3500 Euros.