Brain cancer: causes, symptoms and treatment
Nowadays, there are many brain tumors that can infect different organs like the brain. A tumor is composed of a mass of cells that multiply in an uncontrolled way. It can be benign (cell development is slow and without spread to other parts of the body) or malignant (cell multiplication is rapid and the tumor is difficult to delineate). Brain cancer is one of the most common cancer tumors that affects many people around the world.
What are the causes?
Despite the large body of research, the exact cause of brain cancer (also known as head cancer) remains unknown. So, there are factors that may be causing this tumor such as:
- A history of radiation at the level of the head;
- Medicines used to treat diseases such as AIDS or HIV that weaken the immune system of the infected person;
- Excessive use of mobile devices (especially for children);
- Exposure to vinyl chloride.
Brain cancer: symptoms and treatment
There are several symptoms from which one can deduce the existence or not of brain cancer:
- Headaches: this is the most well-known symptom of brain cancer, but be aware that not all headaches are a sign of cancer but, it can be migraine or tension . Thus, the headaches caused by the tumor are more intense, accompanied by vomiting.
- Memory problems: the infected person starts to forget things, people, and places.
- Disturbances in vision: the vision becomes blurred.
Healing a brain tumor in Turkey
The existence of brain cancer requires urgent surgery to remove the cancerous mass, a number of chemotherapy and irradiation sessions as well as medications.
Turquie Santé is an online platform allowing you to put yourself in direct contact with the most recognized specialists in brain tumor healing in Istanbul, Izmir or Antalya. We guarantee you the best services as well as the best prices.
Who are the people that are more likely to be affected?
Every year in Turkey and Istanbul, about 9,000 people are diagnosed with a primary brain tumor. They account for 5% of all cancers. Major epidemiological studies have shown that brain tumours have been increasing for several decades, but it is not clear why. However, the intensive use of cell phones appears to be implicated in the increase in some primary brain tumours. In terms of mobile phone use, children would be more exposed to brain tumours than adults.
When should I consult a doctor?
Consult your doctor if you suffer from symptoms like persistent and intense headaches that are accompanied by nausea and vision problems.
What are the necessary imaging tests?
In Turkey and Istanbul, we usually use two kinds of imaging tests which are:
Pet-Scan, that proves its efficiency in detecting 85% of tumours, is a useful tool which permits the doctors to confirm the presence, position, and size of the tumours.
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is used to identify tumors that would not have been detected in the Pet scan. In practice, the MRI procedure is similar to that of the scanner, but it implements an electromagnetic field instead of radiation.
Last update : 22/01/2020