Glaucoma is a chronic eye disease that affects the optic nerve, which is responsible for the transmission of visual information from the eye to the brain. This condition, usually caused by an increase in intraocular pressure, often develops slowly and asymptomatically over a long period. As a result, glaucoma can be undetected, making it dangerous and causing permanent damage. Thus, it may require surgery to be completely repaired.
Any Question ?
Get in Touch.
We're Here to Help.
- Patients with glaucoma (adults and children)
- Eye pain
- Swelling or redness of the eye
- Temporary blurred or cloudy vision
- About 20 minutes for both eyes
- Resumption of daily activities the day after operation
- Full recovery after one month
What is glaucoma?
Glaucoma is an ocular pathology that is defined as a subtle disease condition. It can cause irreversible damage to the optic nerve, which is responsible for a progressive decrease in vision. Indeed, this nerve connects the eye to the brain, allowing the image to be perceived. Once damaged, reduced or blurred peripheral vision can occur. However, these symptoms are often overlooked or attributed to the normal aging of vision, eventually leading to total blindness.
Glaucoma surgery is usually aimed at reducing the intraocular pressure. This can be achieved through the use of medications, whether in the form of eye drops, oral medications, laser, or surgery. The treatment choice will depend on the glaucoma severity and the individual factors of the patient.
Types and disease symptoms treated at the best price
Various types of glaucoma can be operated on by our eye surgeons in Istanbul, Turkey at a reduced cost. These types differ in their causes, characteristics, and symptoms, such as:
- Open-angle glaucoma: This is the most common type of chronic glaucoma. In this case, the drainage of the intraocular fluid called the aqueous humor, is gradually obstructed, increasing intraocular pressure. Open-angle glaucoma usually develops slowly and often does not present any symptoms.
- Angle-closure glaucoma: Unlike open-angle glaucoma, angle-closure glaucoma occurs when the angle between the iris and the cornea is closed or blocked. This causes a sudden obstruction of aqueous humor flow and a rapid increase in intraocular pressure.
- Congenital glaucoma: present at birth, is a form of glaucoma, often due to abnormal development of the eye's drainage system. Symptoms may include sensitivity to light, excessive tearing, an enlarged cornea, and an increase in eye size.
- Secondary glaucoma: This type of glaucoma develops as a result of another medical condition or specific risk factor. Some causes of secondary glaucoma include diabetes, eye trauma, long-term use of certain medications or steroids, and other eye problems such as advanced cataracts.
It should be noted that treatment for these different glaucoma types is offered by our partner clinics and hospitals in Turkey at the best price.
Laser therapy in Istanbul, Turkey
Glaucoma surgery in Istanbul, Turkey is based primarily on reducing internal eye pressure until the optimal level is achieved. No valid treatment has been identified to date to prevent the progression of optic nerve damage. Even with perfect eye pressure, it is possible to mark the progression of the disease.
The reduction of the intraocular pressure of the eye can be achieved either with medication or by using laser procedures, and sometimes even by performing glaucoma surgery. Our Istanbul clinics provide you with different options to treat glaucoma permanently at the best cost.
Laser treatment of intraocular pressure
Laser treatment of glaucoma is a commonly used treatment option to reduce intraocular pressure and slow the disease progression. Laser glaucoma treatment is usually performed on an outpatient basis under local anesthesia. The procedure is usually quick and does not require hospitalization.
There are several laser procedures used in the glaucoma surgery in Turkey, including:
ARGON Laser Trabeculoplasty
This procedure is primarily used in the open-angle glaucoma treatment. The ARGON laser is used to target the trabecular meshwork, which is responsible for the drainage of aqueous humor. It then stimulates an opening of the drainage channels, allowing the aqueous humor to flow more easily and reducing intraocular pressure.
YAG Laser Peripheral Iridotomy
This procedure is used to treat angle-closure glaucoma. The YAG laser is used to create a small opening in the iris, allowing the aqueous humor to bypass the closed angle and flow freely. This helps to reduce intraocular pressure and prevent acute angle closure glaucoma episodes.
Cyclophotocoagulation Laser in Turkey
This procedure aims to reduce the production of aqueous humor in the eye. Then, the laser is used to treat the aqueous humor-producing cells of the ciliary body, which reduces the amount of fluid produced. This helps to lower intraocular pressure.
After the laser treatment, it may be necessary to take medication to control the intraocular pressure.
Surgical options in the best Turkey clinics
It is important to note that laser treatment offered in Turkey, may not be suitable for all glaucoma types, and its effectiveness may vary depending on the individual case. Therefore, your ophthalmologist may recommend reconstructive surgery to treat your eye problem. Regardless of the surgical procedure, the operations' principle is considered the same. They all aim at facilitating the drainage of the aqueous humor to optimize the ocular pressure. The most commonly used surgeries are trabeculectomy and goniotomy (dedicated to affected children).
Glaucoma surgery cost with Turquie Santé
Discover specialized care and advanced expertise for glaucoma surgery at our renowned clinics in Istanbul at a competitive cost. With a highly trained ophthalmologist team and state-of-the-art technology, Turquie Santé offers you customized solutions and top-notch surgical procedures to reduce intraocular pressure and slow the disease progression. Whether you need laser treatments, advanced surgical procedures, or specialized follow-up care, our dedicated team is here to support you in every step during your medical stay. Opt for a free consultation from today to take advantage of the best deals from our partner clinics.
Share this page
When you have glaucoma, it's essential to take certain precautions to manage and protect your eye health. These include:
- Avoid strenuous physical exertion and inverted head positions (e.g. during yoga exercises): these activities can increase intraocular pressure.
- Avoid excessive caffeine consumption
- Avoid eye trauma by wearing sunglasses.
Medications used to treat glaucoma can have the following potential side effects:
- Eye irritation
- Blurred vision
- Dry eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- Change in the eye color
- Drop in blood pressure or heart rate
To monitor the progression of glaucoma, you need to :
- Measure intraocular pressure (IOP)
- Regular examination of the optic nerve to detect structural changes and damage caused by glaucoma.
- Evaluate the visual field
- Perform gonioscopy to evaluate the eye drainage angle.
To determine whether glaucoma treatment is effective, check with your ophthalmologist whether the reduction in intraocular pressure has been well established. The stability of the optic nerve and improvement in symptoms such as eye pain, blurred vision, or headaches may indicate a response to treatment.
Prices of glaucoma surgery in Turkey can vary according to the type of treatment adopted. In general, the cost can range from 2,000 to 5,000 euros.