Astigmatism is a visual defect that leads to general visual difficulty at near or far distances. Focusing is often difficult, and objects don't always have well-defined contours. Fortunately and like other visual defects such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, and presbyopia, astigmatism can also be treated. Astigmatism correction mainly consists of making the cornea homogeneous using the laser to make clear images on the retina. Thus, Turquie Santé has a team of experts who help you to solve your vision problem in Istanbul, Turkey, through the LASIK technique (100% laser) at competitive prices.
- Patients with astigmatism
- Between 25 and 30 min
- 24 h
- More than 90 %
Astigmatism correction in Istanbul
It's according to the type and the degree of this refractive error that we can define the best treatments for astigmatism. Refractive error can be classified according to the position that the two focal lines have regarding the retina:
- Compound myopic astigmatism: both meridians are myopic, so the two focal lines fall in front of the retina
- Simple myopic astigmatism, in which one meridian is normal, and the other is myopic. So, one focal line falls on the retina, and the other behind it
- Mixed astigmatism, in which one meridian is myopic, and the other is hyperopic. So, one focal line falls in front of the retina, and the other behind
- Simple hyperopic astigmatism, in which one meridian is emmetropic, and the other presents hypermetropic astigmatism. So, one focal line falls on the retina, and the other behind it
- Compound hyperopic astigmatism: both main meridians are hyperopic, and the two focal lines fall behind the retina.
However, astigmatism correction’s costin Istanbul, Turkey varies depending on the technique used.
Causes & Symptoms of this ametropia
Astigmatism is an ametropia that is caused by an imperfection of the cornea's curvature that is slightly egg-shaped instead of being perfectly spherical. A slight degree of astigmatism is common to everyone. Nevertheless, our eyes have a natural and instinctive mechanism of compensation. That's why we can return the focus to the right position and correctly see both nearby and far objects. Once this refractive error becomes more marked, it is necessary to make corrections.
The most common symptoms of astigmatism are:
- Eye fatigue
- Burning in the eyes
- Eye pain
- Double vision
- Blurred vision
Is laser eye surgery (LASIK) the best treatment for simple myopic astigmatism?
Astigmatism can be corrected temporarily or permanently in Istanbul, Turkey. Temporary correction involves the use of either contact lenses or eyeglasses.
Toric Contact Lenses for this ametropia
Toric contact lenses have a curvature that corrects different types of astigmatism. In the case of eyeglasses, the lenses will be designed to exert a deviation of the light rays. This is crucial to overcome the problem of imperfect curvature of the cornea. Both cases require taking care of your eyes' hygiene and the prosthesis you choose to use.
LASIK for Astigmatism
This sort of refractive defect can be permanently repaired. Femto-Lasik surgery is a type of laser eye surgery used to correct astigmatism. The ophthalmologist recommends LASIK to treat astigmatism in those who suffer from normal, moderate, or significant degrees of refractive error. To perform definitive astigmatism correction intervention, the best doctors use two new-generation tools. They are particularly safe and remarkably precise, which are Femtosecond laser and Excimer lasers. The ophthalmologist combines these two technologies to achieve effective results. The expertise and proficiency of an ophthalmologist are the keys to making successful interventions.
Advantages of laser eye surgery for simple myopic and hypermetropic astigmatism
The Femto-Lasik approach has many objective and subjective advantages. Here are a few examples:
- Duration: it is performed in outpatient mode and lasts a few minutes
- Reliability: it is particularly safe and precise
- No pain: it is a painless operation, some anesthetic eye drops are sufficient
- Minimal risks: complications during and after the surgery are minimized
- Fast recovery: recovery after the surgery is faster than other surgical techniques
- Sense of freedom: the patient finally feels free to see well without having to wear glasses or contact lenses
- Increased self-esteem, patients feel more comfortable in working, and social relationships. Adding to that, it is more suitable for those who practice activities, such as sport
Can you be myopic & astigmatic at the same time?
Astigmatism is a very common refractive error. Almost every human being is astigmatic (90% of the world’s population). However, if your degree of astigmatism is under 0,6 dioptres, your vision will not be affected. This ametropia can be combined not only with simple myopic astigmatism but also with hyperopia (hypermetropic astigmatism) and presbyopia. Its correction involves the use of glasses with cylindrical lenses or refractive surgery.
Diagnosis of eye anomaly & its Cost in Istanbul, Turkey
In the most difficult cases, it can be helpful to perform a corneal topography. The latter consists of a computerized examination that allows obtaining a map of the curvature of the cornea. Thus, all types of astigmatism can be correctly diagnosed. This defect should be controlled over time to check the complications and exclude the presence of eye diseases. The costs and the prices of the diagnosis and the treatments are reasonable in our ophthalmology clinics and hospitals in Istanbul, Turkey.
Share this page