Gastric bypass is a Bariatric surgery that allows you to lose weight. Regardless of the used techniques, this intervention intends to shorten the size of the stomach and reduce the length of the path that food is made in the intestine. Among the results that can be achieved by having a gastric bypass surgery are:
- A feeling of satiety
- Reduced calorie absorption
- Faster weight loss
Any Question ?
Get in Touch.
We're Here to Help.
Gastric bypass surgery in Istanbul Turkey: Costs & reviews
It is usually done according to the so-called Roux-en-Y technique. The latter involves the creation of a small pocket at the level of the stomach that is isolated from the rest of the organs. Therefore, the amount of food that can be ingested is drastically reduced and limited by the small volume of the pocket.
Then, the pouch is connected to the lower part of the small intestine so that the portion of the intestine normally receives the food at the exit from the stomach.
Since foods bypass the lower part of the stomach and the upper part of the small intestine (duodenum),the calories absorbed are significantly reduced. On the other hand, the narrow passage guarantees a slow transit that allows a prolonged sense of satiety.
Numerous data show how Bariatric surgery, and in particular gastric bypass surgery, has advantages in terms of:
- Reduction in global mortality by 29%: mortality from cancer is reduced by 60% and from diabetes by 90%.
- Reduction of morbidity, that is, the consequences that obesity can cause, in particular a reduction of blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, and reflux symptoms.
When is gastric bypass surgery indicated?
Bariatric surgery is not the first choice in all obese or overweight patients. It is suggested only when all non-surgical attempts made to lose weight such as diet, behavioral therapy, and drugs have failed.
According to the best doctors inIstanbul, Turkey, surgery is indicated:
- For obese patients with a Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than 40, for whom no medical and dietary treatments have been able to lead to weight loss.
- For patients with BMI between 35 and 40 with serious medical conditions such as sleep apnea syndrome, diabetes, and joint pain.
Advantages of this bariatric intervention
- Consistent and long-lasting weight loss: you will lose about 50-75% of your body weight in the first year, although after 1-2 years the loss will tend to slow down
- Diseases such as diabetes and hypercholesterolemia improve rapidly
Recovery time & complications
Respecting your doctor's instructions during the recovery time is crucial. It is the period that determines whether your surgery was successful or not.
What recovery time do I need to fully regain strength after this Bariatric surgery?
Recovery time depends on many things. One of the main factors is the age of the patient and his overall health condition.
What are the Complications?
The complications of a gastric bypass surgery comport:
- The disintegration of the sutures on the stomach or the intestine with the formation of gastric or intestinal fistula and peritonitis that can be treated with medical therapies or require a new surgical procedure.
- Internal hernias: after such an operation, the strangulation of a section of intestines inside the abdomen can occur, with consequent difficulty in transit. As a result, this complication may require a new surgery.
- Anastomotic ulcers: they are formed near the anastomosis between the stomach and intestine. They can lead to abdominal pain, feeding difficulties, and, rarely, hematemesis. These complications are usually resolved with pharmacological therapies, but in some cases may require hospitalization.
- Stenosis and obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract, resulting in difficulty in feeding, nausea, and vomiting. Stenosis can generally be resolved by endoscopic dilation, but may sometimes require surgery.
- Nutritional deficiencies are more frequent, but they are usually corrected by replacement therapy and careful control of the nutrition.
Gastric bypass in Turkey: Cost & price of the intervention
The cost and the price of gastric bypass surgery in Turkey depend on many factors. Indeed, it depends on the surgeon who will be in charge of performing this kind of intervention. Moreover, quality is a criterion that should be kept in the utmost consideration, as this process cannot be considered simple.
You can contact our consultants to obtain the price of this surgery in our partner clinics in Turkey.
Share this page
It is a method used in bariatric surgery and that modifies the trajectory of the food circuit. The upper part of the stomach is severed and then connected to the small intestine. Food therefore will no longer pass through the upper part of the digestive tract, it goes directly to the small intestine. This method aims to decrease appetite as well as absorption of nutrients.
Gastric bypass is especially recommended for people with a BMI (body mass index) that exceeds 45 Kg/m².
Right after the surgery, you will only be able to eat food with a liquid to semi-liquid texture. After a few days, you will be able to eat minced food. It is important to note that you should eat very slowly and in small bites.
Drinks should be taken twenty to thirty minutes before or after meals.
The decreased absorption of nutrients would require taking long-term food supplements.
The time off work can vary between three or four weeks, depending on the nature of the patient's professional activity.