What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Turkey and Istanbul?
The carpal tunnel syndrome is a lesion that affects the hand and wrist. The carpal tunnel is a space bounded by the wrist bones and a rigid ligament that connects the bones to each other. Through this channel passes the median nerve. The latter controls the thumb, index finger, middle finger, and ring finger.
When this space becomes small, the median nerve becomes compressed.
Intervention or treatment's duration
- The operation lasts about 20 minutes
- Back to normal activities one week after the operation
What are the Signs?
The compression of the median nerve leads to numbness and tingling in the hand as well as pain and loss of dexterity.
What are the Etiologies of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Some occupations cause inflammation in the carpal tunnel:
- Repetitive hand movements
- Unnatural positions of the hand
- Tight prehension
- Mechanical stress exerted on the palms of the hands
The carpal tunnel syndrome may be linked to some general diseases:
- Amyloidosis (accumulation in the liver, kidneys, spleen of a substance that is similar to starch)
- Hypothyroidism (deficiency of the thyroid gland)
- Tumors of tendon sheaths
- Fractures and dislocation of wrists
- Wrist cysts
- Use of oral contraceptives
What does the Treatment consist of?
Surgical treatment in Istanbul is indicated if medical treatment fails.
It consists in opening this tunnel at the level of the anterior face of the wrist and decompressing this nerve. The operation is performed under locoregional or general anesthesia. It lasts about 20 minutes. It is performed in an operating room by a plastic surgeon. The patient can return the same day.
What is the price of this type of surgery in Turkey and Istanbul?
Turquie santé will offer you the cheapest prices to treat carpal tunnel syndrome in Turkey and Istanbul.