The knee is a complex joint that involves three bones: femur, tibia, and patella. They are united by ligaments to ensure the stabilization of the joint. Osteoarthritis can damage the knee, and medications are not always effective in treating this condition. Knee replacement in Turkey can be the best solution: the knee prosthesis.
Also known as knee arthroplasty, a knee prosthesis surgery is an orthopedic procedure. It aims to substitute the weight-bearing surfaces of the knee joint. This will treat pain and disability.
- People with chronic osteoarthritis
- Patients with conditions such as gout, hemophilia or bone dysplasia
- People with serious knee injuries
- Persistent pain
- The operation generally lasts 1h30
- Back to normal activities within three to six weeks
- Pain and inflammation can last three to four months after surgery
What are the indications for this procedure?
Doctors usually indicate this knee surgery for patients with osteoarthritis. They may also indicate it for patients who have another knee disease like rheumatoid arthritis or psoriatic arthritis. In case of deformity due to severe trauma or long-standing osteoarthritis, the surgery becomes more complicated with higher risk.
Total Knee Replacement Prosthesis: stop joint pain
The total knee replacement prosthesis is a surgical procedure in Turkey at an affordable cost. This surgery aims to replace the knee or part of the knee damaged by osteoarthritis. This procedure is performed in people over 60 years of age who suffer from severe and prolonged pain.
The prosthesis decision as well as the type to be used are taken by the surgeon at first. He also estimates the seriousness of the situation and then by the patient.
The knee prosthesis eliminates pain and ensures normal knee function.
What Are the Different Types of the Surgery?
The main four types of fixed bearing implants in knee replacement surgery are:
- Total knee replacement prosthesis
- Partial knee replacement (unicompartmental)
- Replacement of the patella (patellofemoral arthroplasty)
- Replacement of the complex knee or revision
There are several types of joint knee replacement as well as different surgical methods. Your doctor and an orthopedic surgeon should help you choose the best option for you. They take into account the condition of your knee and your general health.
The patient has to execute range of motion exercises of knee strengthening as recommended daily by the physical therapist. Before the surgery is done, pre-operative tests are done as follows:
- CBC, complete blood count
- Electrolytes, APTT, and PT to analyze blood clotting (coagulation)
- Chest X-rays
- ECG, and blood cross-matching for potential transfusion
Preoperative education is an important step of the treatment. It may slightly decrease anxiety before knee replacement surgery.
Weight loss surgery before a knee replacement surgery does not seem to improve the results.
Procedure of the intervention
The placement of a prosthesis is a very important intervention that requires a lot of preparations:
- Before the operation: a meeting with the doctor, the surgeon, and the anesthesiologist. A detailed assessment and an X-ray are required to decide the size of the prosthesis to use.
- Intervention: the operation usually lasts 1h30 in an operating room under total anesthesia. According to the assessment already made, the orthopedic surgeon chooses a prosthesis from a dozen prostheses. The prosthesis is usually composed of 4 elements, to replace the infected area.
- After the operation: the operated person must stay in the hospital or the clinic at least one week after the operation. Under the supervision of a doctor, physical therapy is mandatory for two to three weeks. The patient can return to its activities gradually, after the first postsurgical month.
Are there any risks of total Knee Replacement Prosthesis?
Risks and complications in this surgery are similar to those associated with all joint and tibial component substitutions. The most severe complication is the infection of the joint, which rarely occurs (in 1% of reported cases).
Deep vein thrombosis is more common, yet still rare (only 15% of reported cases). Nerve injuries seem to occur in only 2% of reported cases. Persistent pain or inelasticity seems to happen in 8% of cases.
The rejection of metal and plastic in the prosthesis happens in only 2% of patients after 5 postoperative years.
There is an increased risk of complications in overweight patients undergoing total knee replacement surgery. The doctor would recommend that the overweight patient loses weight before the surgery. If he is medically eligible, the patient would probably benefit from weight loss surgery.
Breaking or chipping of the polyethylene rotating platform between the femoral and tibial elements may be of concern. These pieces may get lodged in the knee and cause unbearable pain or may migrate to other zones of the body.
Advancements in implant design have greatly decreased these problems. However, the potential fear is still present over the lifespan of the knee prosthesis.
Postoperative complications of knee prosthesis (in the medium and long term) can be in the form of:
- Persistent pain
However, the risk of death remains very rare.
Rehabilitation after the surgery & duration of Work Stopping
After a hospital stay, which lasts on average between 4 and 6 weeks, the patient must return there regularly for rehabilitation. This rehabilitation, which generally lasts 3 weeks, allows the patient to resume his daily activities.
The convalescence time following knee replacement surgery is a minimum of one month. Several factors such as postoperative or the patient's age, he is entitled to a minimum 3-month work stoppage.
Knee replacement surgery cost in Turkey: Affordable Price
The knee replacement surgery cost in Turkey varies according to the age of the patient or also the clinic. Request a free personalized quote for your medical stay in Turkey. You can also request a medical consultation or a tailor-made quote. Turquie Santé negotiates for you the bestcosts as well as the most comfortable conditions.
Share this page