Knee prosthesis: concept and objectives
The knee is a complex joint that involves three bones: femur, tibia and patella that are united by ligaments to ensure the stabilization of the joint. Osteoarthritis can damage the knee, and medications are not always effective in treating this condition. Surgery can be the best solution: the knee prosthesis
Who is this procedure for?
- People with chronic osteoarthritis
- Patients with conditions such as gout, hemophilia or bone dysplasia
- People with serious knee injuries
- Persistent pain
Intervention or treatment's duration
- The operation generally lasts 1h30
- Back to normal activities within three to six weeks
- Pain and inflammation can last three to four months after surgery
Knee prosthesis: stop joint pain
The knee prosthesis is a surgical procedure that aims to replace, by a prosthesis, the knee or part of the knee damaged by osteoarthritis. This procedure is performed in people over 60 years of age who suffer from severe and prolonged pain. The prosthesis decision as well as the type to be used are taken by the surgeon at first, who estimates the seriousness of the situation and then by the patient. The knee prosthesis eliminates pain and ensures normal knee function.
What Are the Different Types of Knee Replacement Surgery?
The main four types of knee replacement surgery are:
- Total knee replacement
- Partial knee replacement (unicompartimental)
- Replacement of the patella (patellar arthroplasty)
- Replacement of the complex knee or revision.
There are several types of joint knee replacement as well as different surgical methods. Your doctor and orthopedic surgeon should help you choose the best option for you, taking into account the condition of your knee and your general health.
Knee prosthesis: procedure of the intervention
The placement of prosthesis is a very important intervention that requires a lot of preparations:
- Before the operation: a meeting with the surgeon and the anesthesiologist, as well as a detailed assessment and an X-ray are required to decide the size of prosthesis to achieve.
- Intervention: the operation usually lasts 1h30 under total anesthesia. According to the assessment already made, the surgeon chooses a prosthesis from a dozen prostheses (usually composed of 4 elements) to replace the infected area.
- After the operation: the operated person must stay at least one week after the operation under the supervision of doctor. Rehabilitation is mandatory for two to three weeks. The resumption of activities is carried out gradually after the first month of the operation.
Postoperative complications of knee prosthesis (in the medium and long term) can be in the form of persistent pain, fracture, infection, stiffness ... but the risk of death remains very rare.
Price of a prosthesis in Turkey
The price of a knee prosthesis varies according to the age of the patient or also the clinic. To request a free personalized quote for your medical stay in Turkey, you can request a medical consultation or a tailor-made quote. Turquie Santé negotiates for you the best prices as well as the most comfortable conditions
- Multispecialized hospital
- 7 operating rooms
- Capacity é of 170 beds
- Grand Hospital founded in 1999
- 200 Beds
- 53,000 square meters
- Ultra Modern New Hospital
- Multispecialized hospital
- VIP class