Blepharoplasty or eyelid lift is an aesthetic eyelid surgery that allows the elimination of excess eyelid skin as well as fatty hernias that form eyelid bags.
The blepharoplasty procedure can be performed alone or in conjunction with other facial rejuvenation methods.
This surgery is often confused with canthopexy and canthoplasty which are two surgical procedures performed on the outer corner of the eye, the canthus. However, these procedures can be combined to achieve a better result.
Any Question ?
Get in Touch.
We're Here to Help.
- People with drooping upper eyelids
- People with vision problems due to falling eyelids
- People with excessive lower eyelids
- Elderly people wanting a younger look
- Visual disturbances (normal effect which will disappear after a few days)
- A blepharoplasty lasts between 1 and 3 hours.
- Disappearance of bruising and swelling after 2 weeks of the operation
- Disappearance of scars after 2 months of the operation
- Visible result from the first day
What is blepharoplasty?
Blepharoplasty or eyelid lift is aesthetic eyelid surgery for men and women who are older than forty.
At this age, the first signs of skin aging and wrinkles appear. A cosmetic surgeon can perform this procedure on the upper or lower eyelid level and bags under the eyes. It aims to correct drooping eyelids, wrinkle scrub as well as remove dark circles under the eyes.
Types of cosmetic eyelid surgery like blepharoplasty
Eyelid defects can be corrected by two types of blepharoplasty. These are:
- Upper blepharoplasty: it corrects the shape and looks of the upper eyelid. It is the most common plastic surgery in some Asian countries.
- Lower blepharoplasty: this is concerned with the lower eyelid. It gives it a more aesthetic and youthful look by rejuvenating the skin under the eyes.
Can eyelid surgery be combined with other cosmetic surgeries?
Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) alters the eye expression, and it may be associated with other types of cosmetic surgery such as:
- Facelift: it corrects the signs of time at the forehead and the middle zone between the eyebrows.
- Liposculpture: allows the aesthetic surgeon to take a well-defined amount of fat and reinject it into the tear troughs of the same patient.
- Creation of a palpebral furrow: eye surgery for people of Asian origin who are genetically different from other people.
Alternatives to eye lift surgery
There are also non-surgical and minimally invasive procedures that can be done to give the eyes back their natural look, such as:
- Botox injections
- Dermal filler
How is blepharoplasty done?
The intervention is carried out in the operating room, under local anesthesia and/or sedo analgesia, more rarely under general anesthesia (depending on the patient and the type of intervention).
Upper eyelid blepharoplasty consists of a skin incision at the level of the eyelid crease, resulting in the removal and remodeling of skin, muscle, and/or fat.
More specifically, depending on the region treated, we will talk about:
- Upper eyelid blepharoplasty
- Lower eyelid blepharoplasty
- Lower transconjunctival blepharoplasty
- Complete or total blepharoplasty
- Blepharoplasty with the removal of bone tissue
The incision can be made with a blade, laser, or radio frequency device.
If there are only fatty pockets in the lower eyelid, and it is not necessary to remove the excess skin, the surgeon can perform the so-called trans-conjunctival blepharoplasty, without making skin incisions external (therefore without visible scars).
After personalized skin, muscle, and fat removal, sutures are applied to the skin.
What are the side effects of eyelid correction?
The side effects of blepharoplastycan be:
- Some pain may be felt during the first 24 hours
- The most common risks of eyelid surgery are swelling, bruising, and tearing. The duration of these side effects differs from person to person but usually does not exceed 7 days after the operation as well as they can be hidden by an anti-dark spot.
- A decrease in visual acuity due to blood clots.
- Itchiness is caused by the dryness of the eyes.
- The affected person may suffer from visual disturbances, including dry eyes, in the first few days, but they quickly disappear through the use of physiological serum drops.
Eyelid correction in Istanbul Turkey: Price & Reviews
Turquie santé puts you in contact with very recognized clinics worldwide in Istanbul, Izmir, and Antalya in Turkey.
Find experienced plastic surgeons based on recent and certified reviews, discover the cost, and compare cheap quotes and prices of hospitals and clinics in Istanbul, Izmir, Ankara, or Antalya. We must inform you that appointments are free of charge.
Share this page
Blepharoplasty should be performed by an ophthalmic surgeon specialized in oculoplasty.
There is no specific age for having a blepharoplasty. However, doctors recommend not to get this surgery before the age of forty years old.
The main risks are:
- Temporary ophthalmic disorders;
- Difficulty of opening or closing the eyelids;
- Poor wound healing;
- In very rare cases there may be an accidental injury of a ciliary muscle.
The success rate of eyelid surgery in our clinics in Turkey is 95%.
Yes, the result of a blepharoplasty operation is permanent in the case of correction of bags under the eyes. In the case of liposculpture of the eyelid, the operation must be repeated after about ten years.
The main contraindications where a blepharoplasty is avoidable are :
- Dry eyes (gougerot sjogren)
- Untreated glaucoma
- Corneal ulcers...
You can resume your daily activities after 4 or 5 days of a laser eye bag blepharoplasty and after about 10 days after a blepharoplasty with incisions. Intense activity can only be resumed after 2 or 3 weeks.
Blepharoplasty is not painful, it is also performed under local or sometimes general anesthesia. Even after the operation, the patient will not feel any pain.