What is Gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia is a benign unilateral or bilateral proliferation of mammary glandular tissue. This is the consequence of a hormonal imbalance characterized by an excess of estrogen at the expense of androgens. It is a common male pathology observed at any age. It can be responsible for serious psychosocial problems.
Pseudogynecomastia or adipomastia is a different diagnosis. It is rather a breast hypertrophy caused by an excess of fat without involvement of the mammary glandular tissue.
How to Diagnose Enlarged Breasts in Men?
The family doctor or endocrinologist interviews people for personal history, current medications, and similar cases in the family.
Through careful clinical examination, the characteristics of gynecomastia (unilateral or bilateral, painful or not, soft, firm or hard) are specified. Then, we ask for further examinations such as ultrasound, mammography, and hormonal assessment.
At the end of this step, a malignant pathology is eliminated, including an uncommon breast cancer that can be observed in men and an adipomastia is distinguished from true gynecomastia.
What are the Causes of Enlarged Breasts in Men?
- Drug causes: Iatrogenic gynecomastia is the most common among etiologies. The list of responsible drugs is long and is cited as an example; some neuroleptics, allopurinol (used to treat hyperuricemia), spironolactone (indicated in the treatment of high blood pressure), cimetidine (gastric bandage) ... and drugs (hashish, marijuana...).
- Endocrine causes: hyperthyroidism.
- Paraneoplastic syndrome: related to certain tumours at the expense of kidneys, pins, or liver ...
- Genetic causes: Klinefelter syndrome ...
- System diseases: chronic renal failure, hepatic cirrhosis.
- Others: Obesity, sexual or neurotic hyperstimulation of the nipple and pubertal breast thrust. The latter is very common, it occurs in adolescents (13-14 years on average). The spontaneous regression is common. That is why, the therapeutic abstention is the rule.
- Idiopathic Gynecomastia: When no cause is found.
What is the Treatment of Gynecomastia in Turkey & Istanbul or Izmir ?
The treatment is primarily etiopathogenic which means that it is necessary to treat the cause, stop a drug or toxic in question, and treat hyperthyroidism.
The indications of surgery are idiopathic gynecomastia in Turkey and Istanbul, the failure of medical treatment, and the persistence of aesthetically disturbing man boobs.
Surgical Treatment of Man Boobs
When there is an excess fat, the treatment consists of a liposuction by a micro incision under local anesthesia. Cryolipolysis is a non-invasive alternative that has been proven its effectiveness. It consists of inducing a controlled particulate in the cold to destroy the adipocytes (fat cells).
When a true gynecomastia is involved, a small incision is made in the areola and the enlarged mammary gland is removed.
In both cases, the last step involves putting a tight elastic compression to prevent the appearance of edema. The results are simple in the vast majority of cases, the patient can resume physical activity normally.
Aesthetic Surgery for Men in Turkey & Istanbul
Turquie Santé acts as an intermediary between the patient and the most recognized hospitals in Turkey , Istanbul and Izmir in order to offer you a quality service for all aesthetic surgeries that are dedicated to men. Our mission is to guide you to the most recommended clinics for your disease and to negotiate for you the cheapest prices for breast enlargement in men in Turkey.