What is Gamma Knife Radiosurgery?
Gamma Knife radiosurgery aims to treat cancer without using a scalpel. It is not necessary to open the skull as this operation involves using an accurate and intense radiation. If there is a high risk, radiosurgery can be employed to cure brain tumors that are smaller than 3 cm.
Intervention or treatment's duration
- The intervention lasts between 10 minutes to 2 hours depending on the extent of the tumor
How does it work?
The Gamma Knife is the ultimate radiosurgery machine. It transmits beams of gamma rays to the brain tumor. The duration of this intervention is between 10 minutes and 2 hours and this relies on the extent of the tumour. Nothing can be felt by the patient who is conscious during the procedure. Cancer cells are destroyed through this machine. A scar will remain in the brain after the surgery, but the tumour will definitely disappear. It is important to note that deformities of blood vessels and abnormalities that exist at the level of the brain can be healed through Gamma Knife radiosurgery.
What are the Cases that can be Treated?
Neurosurgery, that involves a cut at the level of the scalp and an incision in the brain, is more dangerous than gamma knife radiosurgery. The following cases need this type of therapy:
- The brain tumour cannot be reached using neurosurgery.
- A less invasive therapy is preferred by the patient.
- A standard brain surgery cannot be achieved as the person is not healthy.
- Gamma knife radiosurgery can be done in just one day and leads to fewer undesirable impacts.
What are the cases that can be healed with this intervention?
The subsequent conditions can be treated through Gamma Knife radiosurgery:
- Brain tumours: non cancerous and cancerous brain tumors can be managed through Radiosurgery that has proved its effectiveness. The tumour cells will decrease little by little and lose their capacity to multiply when the radiation treatment destroys their genes.
- Vestibular schwannoma: this type of tumour grows on the nerve of balance and hearing and extends from your inner ear to your brain.
- Trigeminal neuralgia: a facial pain can be felt due to this nerve disorder.
Complications associated with this less invasive therapy
Probable side effects that are related to haemorrhage, inflammation, and anesthesia may arise after undergoing a neurosurgery. However, less risk may be experienced with gamma Knife radiosurgery. This radiosurgery may lead to some of the following undesirable influences:
- Inflammation: this complication appears usually after six months. It occurs at the level of the brain or close to the zone where the intervention is performed. Anti-inflammatory medications will be prescribed by the doctor in order to avoid this kind of complications.
- Tiredness: after gamma Knife radiosurgery, you may feel tired.
- Radionecrosis may develop after a few months following the surgery. It may not have any manifestations; however, in rare cases it may be symptomatic. On that occasion, a treatment will be required, such as the use of dexamethasone or a surgery.
Cost of this Therapy in Turkey and Istanbul
The cost of gamma Knife radiosurgery that is proposed by Turquie santé is cheaper than that of other countries such as France, Spain, and The United States of America. What you have to do is to send your medical file to our partner clinics and hospitals in Istanbul, Izmir or Antalya. They will answer you as soon as possible and provide you with the adequate treatment that puts into consideration your specific case.
What Should I do to obtain a consultation?
Discussing your particular condition with your doctor is extremely important. With Turquie santé, the treatment through gamma knife is offered at the hospitals or clinics in Turkey, Izmir, Ankara, Antalya, and Istanbul. The main objective of Turquie santé is to attain the desired results that are sought by its clients
- Multispecialized hospital
- 7 operating rooms
- Capacity é of 170 beds
- Ultra Modern New Hospital
- Multispecialized hospital
- VIP class
- Grand Hospital founded in 1999
- 200 Beds
- 53,000 square meters