There are several types of surgeries in Istanbul that are concerned with the human body such as cosmetic surgery, spinal surgery, dental surgery, bariatric surgery… each of which treats a well-defined type of disease. Pediatric surgery is a branch of surgery, but is concerned with a specific age category (from the prenatal period to adolescence).
Pediatric Surgery in Turkey, Best Prices and Clinics
Pediatrics is a branch of medicine that diagnoses and treats diseases in fetuses, infants, children and adolescents. Most infant diseases are caused by genetic or chromosomal problems and exposure to medications or chemicals during pregnancy.
Birth defects are a common reason for physical and mental disabilities in children. Many of these prenatal diseases can be detected by screening tests. If you are pregnant, then consider visiting a genetic counselor.
What is Pediatric Surgery
Pediatric surgery is a branch of general surgery. It treats health problems with body parts such as the lungs, belly and chest. The person who practices this profession is called a "pediatric surgeon". He is specially trained to fix birth defects in new-born babies.
So, if you have a baby with a birth defect, you have to consult a pediatric surgeon in the first place.
Children on the other hand tend to play a lot, that’s why they are more exposed to traumas and risks such as back injuries and car accidents. These accidents can be mild or severe. Sometimes they may cause permanent functional or structural defects.
Birth Defects in Babies
Birth defects are congenital changes (present at birth) that can affect one or more body part (heart, chest, brain). They are a common condition in 1 in every 33 babies. Birth defects include 2 major categories :
They affect how the body functions and include
- Learning Disabilities : Dyslexia, Disgraphia, Mental retardation (Autism),Speech difficulties.
- Structural Defects: These abnormalities in babies affect the shape of a body part and how it looks. They include
- Belly Area Defects : Appendicitis, Inguinal hernias.
- Ear Defects : This type of birth defect affects the shape of the ear. These include malformations of the child's ears, both internal and external. Common defects include: Stahl's ear, Ear tags.
Pediatric surgery in such cases helps reshape the ear and give it a normal appearance.
- Bladder Defects : Urinary Tract Infection. This infection is the main cause of frequent urination, bedwetting and a burning sensation in the bladder. They are treated by pediatric urology.
- Defects of the Facial Area : Cleft palate (or cleft lip),Ankyloglossia (tie-tongue). This conditions affects how a child pronounces words and it is caused by a too tight lingual frenulum. This happens when the tongue's tip is tied to the floor of the mouth.
- Down syndrome.
- Defects of the Feet : Clubfoot.
- Defects of the Genital Area : Cryptorchidism (undescended testes),Hydroceles.
- Respiratory and Airway Problems : Croup, Strep throat.
Neural Tube Defects (NSD)
These are defects of the brain, spine and spinal cord. They include :
- Spinal defects such as spina bifida, also called a split spine (a gap in the spine because the baby didn’t develop properly in the womb);
- Microcephaly: smaller head size than is expected.
- Defects of the Eyes : Anophthalmia, Microphthalmia.
- Heart defects.
Risk Factors for Getting a Baby with a Birth Defect:
There are certain risk factors that increase the chances of getting a baby with a birth defect, for example :
- Family history;
- Drinking alcohol or smoking during pregnancy;
- Mothers who are over the age of 35 years;
- Untreated bacterial infections.
Pediatric surgery success rate
Pediatric surgery, like other surgeries, has undergone a great evolution in recent years. In addition to curing more congenital diseases and deformities, this development has also increased the success rate of surgeries.
If we look back thirty years, the death rate following pediatric surgery was 30%. Today, thanks to technological advances in the field of infant medicine, the death rate has dropped dramatically to 3%.
Reviews & Prices of the Best Surgeons and Pediatric Clinics in Turkey
With Turquie santé, you are guaranteed to be referred only to qualified and accredited clinics with experienced doctors. Our partner clinics and hospitals in Turkey guarantee you the best surgical care for your children. The price of the intervention depends on the child's case.
A medicalreview as well as a free consultation and a personalized quote are at your disposal from the link below.
Share this page