Iontophoresis is a technique used in Turkey in the medical and aesthetic field to combat cellulite, muscle, joint, and hyperhidrosis problems, i.e. excessive sweating of the hands, armpits, feet, and other areas at risk. It is a therapy that allows the drug to enter the body through epidermal absorption, so it can act more immediately, limiting the risks to a minimum.
Any Question ?
Get in Touch.
We're Here to Help.
Patients who suffer from:
- Muscle contractions
- Skin irritations
Botulinum toxin injection
- The session lasts 30 minutes
What is iontophoresis?
Iontophoresis, which translates to "ion transport", is an electrotherapy procedure that involves the transcutaneous delivery of medication while using a direct current generated by specialized equipment.
Iontophoresis is indicated to fight against
- Cellulite problems
- Inflammations and painful musculoskeletal forms
- Muscular and bone trauma
- Degenerative or inflammatory pathologies of the joints
- Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating of hands, armpits, feet, and other parts of the body)
How does the procedure work?
The principle of iontophoresis in Turkey is to first apply an ionized substance, analgesic or anti-inflammatory in liquid or gel form, to the skin in correspondence with the area to be treated. This substance is then covered with two electrodes attached to a current generator. The ends of the electrodes are positioned on the skin area to be treated, where the medication has been previously administered.
When the generator is turned on, it creates a magnetic field around the two electrodes. An electric current is then created, which allows the ions present in the active ingredient of the medication to penetrate the skin.
The medication penetrates the body without any inconvenient injections or oral medication. In this way, the action of the medication is more immediate and effective.
An iontophoresis session lasts about 30 minutes, and the active ingredient reaches circulation after the first 10 minutes.
Iontophoresis sessions must be repeated at least 15 times to have tangible results. In general, 8 to 12 sessions are applied, 3 to 5 times a week.
Contraindications: what are they?
Iontophoresis is also contraindicated in Turkey for :
- People with pacemakers or other metal prostheses such as plates, screws, or nails.
- Patients with skin lesions.
- Those with epilepsy or skin numbness.
- Pregnant women and children without medical advice
- Specific allergies and intolerances to the medication to be used
- Skin hypoesthesia, dermatitis
In addition, most side effects are caused by improper use of the machines. In this case, skin burns, pain in the upper or lower limbs, cramps, and other discomforts may occur.
Benefits and advantages of iontophoresis
The Iontophoresis technique in Turkey offers several advantages to patients:
- It is a non-invasive and painless treatment. It is a non-invasive and painless treatment. The application of this treatment is done directly on the affected area. Thus, you avoid the administration of drugs by systemic route (oral, intravenous, intramuscular).
- It allows "pure" substances (without excipients) to be introduced into the body directly to the area to be treated without damaging other organs, thus reducing the occurrence of allergies and inflammations. The doses of medication administered by iontophoresis are lower than in traditional treatments because they are delivered directly to the painful area.
- It allows the ions to bind to certain protoplasmic proteins, thus increasing the time during which the medication remains in circulation, which will be absorbed slowly (prolonged release) avoiding side effects.
- It improves the trophism of superficial and deep tissues.
- Likewise, it hyperpolarizes the nerve endings in the sense that it raises the excitability threshold, obtaining a higher analgesic effect.
This therapeutic system can make the affected area absorb a quantity of medicine up to 100 times greater than that absorbed by the stomach.
Price of Iontophoresis Application in Istanbul Turkey
The cost of an Iontophoresis session varies depending on the type of problem being treated and the medical center in which you will undergo your treatment. Generally, aesthetic applications are less expensive than medical ones.
The price of a single session in our partner clinics in Turkey averages around 10–15 euros, but more sessions are needed to achieve the goal. With Turquie Santé, we offer packages of 5, 10, or 20 sessions at lower rates.
Share this page